Cyber Security is a Top Priority for Organizations in the Public and Private Sectors
In the federal space alone, security spending is forecasted to jump from $7.9 billion this year to $11.7 billion in 2014. Security is the most resilient technology area in terms of jobs, certifications and demand. The CompTIA Security+ certification proves your systems security skills to employers and helps you meet the increasing demand for cyber security professionals in the government workforce.
Did You Know?
Government agencies allocating funds for staff training indicate security training as the top priority.
- If you’re already working for the government, pursuing CompTIA Security+ is a worthwhile investment for you and your employer.
More than 50% of government organizations say they lack employees with the right IT skill sets.
- Holding CompTIA Security+ proves that you have systems security knowledge and skills, including network infrastructure, access control and audits.
Federal mandates are requiring that government organizations modernize their IT systems.
- Organizations will need IT staff with the latest skill-sets to manage these new systems and CompTIA Security+ shows you have up-to-date skills in IT security.
CompTIA certifications are worth the investment—but as a service member, you may be eligible for reimbursement under the following programs. With the government making the investment on your behalf, it’s an opportunity too good to pass up!
U.S. Military Reimbursement Programs
- GI Bill – Active duty, reserve components, and veterans qualify for reimbursement under the GI Bill. Visit www.GIBill.VA.gov for more details.
- DANTES – Eligible Army Reserve, Army National Guard and Air Force Reserve personnel can apply for reimbursement through the DANTES program. Visit www.DANTES.DoDed.mil for more information.
Applications for Education Benefits
- An Education Benefits Application for Veteran or on Active Duty Service members (VA 22-1990) can be found at www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990-ARE.pdf
- An Education Benefits Application for your eligible child or spouse can be found at www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5490-ARE.pdf
Click here for further tuition reimbursement information.
CompTIA certifications are not only a good career move, they are a must for certain IT positions. The DoD Directive 8570.1M mandates all government personnel, civilians and contractors working on networks to receive industry IT credentials. CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ exams meet Directive 8570.1M requirements and can be taken at any DANTES Pearson VUE test site.
Pearson VUE delivers exams for all CompTIA certifications—including those that are mandated for military personnel and government contractors under DoD Directive 8570.1M.
Follow the link for your branch of service to receive your exam voucher:
Note: An online voucher tracking system, developed by DANTES and DIAP, is available at https://PCSS.DoD.mil.
Get the Authority to Operate with CompTIA Security+
If you have questions about CompTIA’s certifications, email email@example.com.
For more information on how to set up a Pearson VUE® Authorized Test Center at your agency, visit www.PearsonVUE.com/gov/contact.
Sources: U.S. Government IT Purchase Plans, CompTIA, December 2009 and Sears, Don, “Uncle Sam Wants Your Security Skills, but Can’t Get ‘Em,” www.eweek.com, April, 2010.