Online proctored exams
Online proctored (OP) exams allow you to conveniently and easily take an exam in the comfort of your home or office while being monitored by an offsite proctor.
Watch to learn more about Microsoft’s Online Proctored candidate experience. Click on the links below to learn more about Microsoft’s Online Proctored candidate experience in Arabic, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish.
To get started with online proctoring, review the following steps which will help determine whether online proctoring is appropriate for you. Online proctored exams have specific technical, system, environment, and testing protocol requirements which have to be met in order to successfully take an exam. Go over them before you register for your exam to make sure that your system is ready when the actual exam time comes.
Important: Please review the minimum system requirements and run system test and exam simulation before registering for the exam. If you purchase an online proctored exam and your computer equipment does not meet the requirements, you are unlikely to receive a refund. If your computer does not meet these requirements, please register to take the exam at the test center.
Step 3. Run system test and exam simulation
Download and run the system test from the same computer and location you will be testing from. The system test will simulate the exam experience and verify whether your system can run the online proctored software. The test includes a webcam, microphone and internet connection check. You will also take a one question exam that will test the secured browser connection. Note that the secured browser will take up your whole screen. This process will take approximately 5 minutes.Simulate the Exam Experience
Step 2. Review policies and procedures
To maintain the integrity of proctored exams in an online proctored setting, specific policies, practices, and procedures must be followed. Go through the policies and procedures to make sure you understand what you can do and cannot do while taking an online proctored exam.
Sign in to your web account to schedule. Select the exam you wish to take and on the “Select Booking Method” page, choose the option “I want to take this exam as an online proctored exam.”
Complete the scheduling process.
Sign in to your web account to schedule or start your exam.
- The exam you scheduled will appear once you log into your account under “Open Online Exams (IBT)”. Select the exam link, and then select “Begin exam”.
- Have your acceptable identification available so that your identity can be verified.
- Shut down any non‐essential applications such as email, chat, Facebook or Skype.
- You will be placed into a queue and will contact with the next available Proctor.
- The check-in process takes approximately 15 minutes for candidates who have previously completed a simulation test.
You are required to present a current, government-issued form of ID. The name on your ID must match the name in your Microsoft profile.
Acceptable forms of identification include: Driver’s license, military ID, identification card (national/state/province identity card), alien registration card (green card, permanent resident, visa), and government-issued local language ID (not in Roman characters) – accepted only if issued from the country in which the candidate is testing.
Minors who are under the age of 18 are permitted to present a valid student ID as a form of identification. The candidate’s guardian must also present a valid ID and must provide verbal consent during the check-in process.
For more information reference Pearson VUE ID Policy.
- During the exam, you may not access the following types of personal items: hand-held computers or other electronic devices, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, hats (or other head coverings), bags, coats, books, notes, or any other materials not specifically approved.
- If you are wearing long sleeves, you are asked to roll up your sleeves to show that there is no writing on your arms.
- Watches must be removed and placed out of sight/reach during the exam.
- If you are wearing a tie, you are asked to lift the tie to show the Proctor that nothing is hidden under the tie.
- If you have long hair that covers your ears, you are asked to pull your hair back to show the Proctor that there is nothing attached to your ear.
- Once you begin testing, you will not be able to leave the room or move out of the view of the Proctor once the exam begins.
- By taking this exam, you acknowledge that the Proctor will continuously monitor you by video and audio while you take your exam, and you acknowledge and consent to audio and video recording of your face, voice, the physical room where you are seated, and the location during exam delivery. You recognize that you have no right to privacy at your current location during exam delivery and that you waive any and all claims asserting a right to privacy. If you do not wish to be recorded (either by video or audio), please notify the proctor immediately of your intent not to proceed with the exam.
- If you do not follow the Online Proctored Policies or are suspected of cheating or tampering with Pearson VUE’s or its subcontractor’s software, or if a third party is detected in the physical room where you are seated during the exam, the exam is immediately terminated and this is reported to Pearson VUE and Microsoft, along with audio and/or video evidence of the infraction. Your exam may be invalidated, and Microsoft may take other action, such as decertifying you and precluding all future participation in the Microsoft Program.
Step 1. Verify system requirements
Verify whether the computer being used for the online proctored exams passes the following minimum system requirements.
|Operating System||Windows 10
Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Mac OSX 10.10 or newer
|RAM||OS specified Minimum RAM | 4GB RAM or more|
|Display||Minimum resolution: 1024 x 768 in 16-bit color.
Recommended Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or higher in 32-bit color.
|Internet Connection||For IBT exams, a base connection speed of 1Mbps down/up is required.|
|Supported Internet Browsers||Internet Explorer 11, latest versions of Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari|
|Webcam||Webcam must have a minimum resolution of 640x480 @ 10 fps.
Webcam may be internal or may be external and connected to the computer.
|Sound & Microphone||Headsets with audio and microphone are acceptable.
Built-in microphones are acceptable, as are external microphones.
Headphones or speakers are acceptable.
Note: Verify the audio and microphone are not set on mute in Windows.
|Browser settings||Internet cookies must be enabled.
Any Pop-Up blocking setting(s) must be disabled.
|Additional software||Adobe AIR 14.0 or newer is required.
Some security software programs, like antivirus or Internet security software, can disrupt exam delivery and may need to be disabled.
|Firewalls||Corporate firewalls (including VPNs) often cause this delivery method to fail.
Please take your exam in a setting without a corporate firewall.
If you are ready to take an online proctored exam, start by scheduling for your exam today. Note, you will be taken to Microsoft’s website to browse the exam catalog to register for your exam.Register