American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certification Testing
“AHIMA…leading the advancement and ethical use of quality health information to promote health and wellness worldwide”
AHIMA is the worldwide professional association of recognized leaders in health information management, informatics, health data technology, and innovation. AHIMA values member diversity, continuing education, leadership development, and professional credentialing.
Authorization to Test
AHIMA offers computer based certification exams for the RHIA, RHIT, CCA, CCS, CCS-P, CHDA, CHPS and CDIP credentials. To schedule a testing appointment you must have applied for and received an Authorization to Test letter containing your eligibility number and scheduling information. Candidates with a valid email address will be sent an ATT letter from Pearson VUE. All other candidates will be sent an ATT letter via regular mail.
If you have questions concerning your exam application or eligibility requirements, please contact AHIMA Customer Relations at 800-335-5535.
Prior to scheduling your exam, please ensure that your first and last name matches your ATT letter and your two forms of acceptable identification.
Candidates who do not schedule and sit for their exam prior to the 4 month eligibility end date will forfeit their exam fee. Schedule your appointment as soon as possible to ensure seat availability.
On Examination Day
- Arrive at the test center 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time
- Present valid identification
Pearson VUE Acceptable Forms of Candidate Identification
Universally Accepted Forms of Candidate Identification for candidates testing inside or outside their country of citizenship (Must be in Roman Characters).
- U. S. Passport Card
- U.S. Military ID (including military ID for spouses and dependents)
Primary and Secondary IDs must match the ATT letter or candidates will be turned away and forfeit their exam fees.
Primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired)
- Government-Issued Driver’s License, including temporary licenses with all required elements (refer to “Unacceptable forms of Candidate Identification” for an exception when presented with a Texas driver’s license that carries two expiration dates)
- U.S. Dept of State Driver’s License
- U.S. Learner’s Permit (plastic card only with photo and signature)
- National/State/Country Identification Card
- Passport cards
- Military ID
- Military ID for spouses and dependents
- Alien Registration Card (Green Card, Permanent Resident Visa)
- Government-Issued local language ID (plastic card with photo and signature)
- Employee ID*
- School ID*
- Credit Card* (A credit card can be used as a primary form of ID only if it contains both a photo and a signature and is not expired. Any credit card can be used as a secondary form of ID, as long as it contains a signature and is not expired. This includes major credit cards, such as VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. It also includes department store and gasoline credit cards.)
*These forms of identification cannot be used as primary identification for Regulatory and Certification candidates unless specifically indicated in the exam sponsor quick reference guide.
Secondary ID (signature, not expired)
- U.S. Social Security Card
- Debit/ATM Card
- Credit Cards
- any form of ID on the Primary list
- Present allowable code books (if applicable to your exam)