The DC Board of Barber and Cosmetology (Board) regulates the practice of barbers, body artists, and cosmetologists, including specialty cosmetology practices such as braiding, electrolysis, esthetics, manicuring and others as the Mayor may from time to time establish by rule, instructors and managers of these practices, and owners of such facilities. The Board works diligently to raise the standards of practice, ensure quality service, establish accepted codes of ethical behavior, and protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens and visitors of the District of Columbia by upholding the city’s Barber and Cosmetology license law (pdf), which took effect on May 2001.
The Board of Barber and Cosmetology consists of 14 members, appointed by the Mayor. Three (3) shall be barbers, three (3) shall be cosmetologists, three (3) shall be specialty cosmetologists, three (3) shall be body artists, and two (2) shall be consumer members. Eight (8) members constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the first Monday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at the DCRA headquarters, located at 1100 4th Street SW, Washington, DC 20024. The Board can be reached by phone: (202) 442-4320 or fax: (202) 698-4329.
Board Administrator: Cynthia Briggs, Cynthia.Briggs@dc.gov
Current Board Members
- Derek E. Davis, Chairman, Barber
- Raymond L. Kibler, Barber
- Mark C. Wills – Barber
- Eric Doyle, Body Artist
- Paul Roe, Body Artist
- Norah S. Critzos, Cosmetologist
- Richard A. DeCarlo, PhD, Cosmetologist
- Anwar S. Saleem, PhD, Cosmetologist
- Frances O. French, Cosmetologist Specialty, Esthetician and Electrologist
- Cynthia M. Wilkins, Cosmetologist Specialty, Manicurist
- Sharon A. Young, Cosmetologist Specialty , Braider
- Tammy R. Musselwhite, Consumer Member
- Nanita N. Wilson, Consumer Member
2014 Meeting Dates:
|January 6||February 3||March 3|
|April 7||May 5||June 2|
|July 7||August - Recess||September 8|
|October 6||November 3||December 1|