DC Board of Industrial Trades Licensing information
All links labeled PDF require you to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. These links will open in a new browser window.
The Board of Industrial Trades (Board) was established to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the District of Columbia by ensuring that individuals engaged in these trades have the specialized skills and training required to perform such services for the public.
The Board license law, which governs asbestos workers, plumbers PDF, electricians PDF, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics PDF, steam and other operating engineers PDF, elevator mechanics PDF, elevator inspectors PDF (except for those employed by the District of Columbia or by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) and elevator contractors PDF is defined by the District of Columbia Second Omnibus Regulatory Act of 1998 (Omnibus), which took effect on April 20, 1999. The Board may establish bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board consists of 15 members, appointed by the Mayor. Three (3) shall be plumbers licensed in the District, two (2) shall be electricians licensed in the District, two (2) shall be refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics licensed in the District, two (2) shall be steam and other operating engineers licensed in the District, two (2) shall be asbestos workers, one (1) shall be an elevator mechanic licensed in the District, one (1) shall be an elevator inspector licensed in the District, one (1) shall be an elevator contractor licensed in the District, and one(1) shall be a consumer member. Eight (8) members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m. at the DCRA headquarters, located at 1100 4th Street SW, Washington, DC 20024. The Board can be reached by phone: (202) 442-4320 or fax: (202) 698-4329.
Board Administrator: Jennifer C. Champagne Jennifer.Champagne2@dc.gov
Current Board Members
- Robert Smith, Chairperson – Master Electrician
- Keith Jones, Co-Chairperson – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Alvin Venson – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Brian Cooper – Elevator Contractor
- Constantin Rodousakis – Master Electrician
- Garth Grannum – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Petrick Washington – Elevator Mechanic
- Richard Jackson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Michael Dalton – Consumer Member
- Raleigh Heyward – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Terrence Hughes – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Alex Lemu – Class 1, Steam Engineer
2017 Meeting Dates:
|January 17||February 21||March 21|
|April 18||May 16||June 20|
|July 18||August - Recess||September 19|
|October 17||November 21||December 19|
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
License Search / News / Publications and Forms
All Masters intending to pull permits in the District of Columbia must be licensed as a Designated Master and have affiliation with a licensed contractor. The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, Permit Division, will not issue permits without proof of required licensure.
Current board vacancies:
- (2) Asbestos Worker/Supervisor
- (1) Elevator Inspector
- (2) Plumber
- (1) Steam Engineer
- (1) Consumer Member
For more information on how to apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments.
Licensing / Resources
Elevator Maintenance ONLY
Online licensing services are a quick, convenient, and environmentally responsible way to manage your licensing needs. All of the functions listed below can be accessed through the Online Services – PULSE Portal link below:
- Online Services – PULSE Portal
- Submit a new, reinstatement or reactivation application. Application Instructions PDF
- Conduct a public license search.
- Check application status or renewal.
- Perform in-depth information inquiry.
- Change address.
- Request Letter of Certification.
- Request duplicate license.