Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Questions about Delivering Tests Through Pearson VUE
Whether you are familiar with computer-based testing or just learning about it, this portion of our website will cover everything you need to know about the benefits of selecting Pearson VUE and our industry-leading services to serve your testing program.
Test Development and Publishing Questions
A test driver is the software application installed at the test site that interprets test files, presents tests to the test taker, scores the test and prints the score report. An associated application uploads the results to the testing system hub for transmission back to your certification data base.
Psychometricians are individuals who are experts in the theory and practice of designing, administering, scoring and interpreting the results of tests. They usually have earned advanced degrees focusing on test theory, applied statistics and/or educational measurement.
All testing programs should be designed and maintained with the input and expertise of an experienced psychometrician. This does not mean that you need to retain one on staff; you should be able to hire the required expertise from consultants or a testing services company. Pearson VUE has several experienced psychometricians on their test development teams, who can help you with your testing program needs.
Pearson VUE offers a full range of products and services to facilitate and guide an organization through each step of the test development, publication and ongoing test administration process. For more information on Pearson VUE’s test development services and data managent tools visit the Test Program Solutions portion of our website.
ExamDeveloper™ integrates the functionality of test development, administration and analysis within a suite of highly-secure web-based tools. The system allows individuals to collaborate remotely, reducing the development costs of an examination. ExamDeveloper™ is configurable, so your organization can use all or individual components to maximize cost savings while increasing productivity and exam integrity. More information on ExamDeveloper™
In 2005, Pearson VUE decided to embrace an open standard for test file transmission, known as QTI.
Pearson VUE strongly supports the efforts of IMS Global Learning Consortium, Inc. and other industry standards groups. The IMS consortium developed an open / shared industry file format for test delivery. To learn more about this consensus-building group, please visit www.imsproject.org.
Our goal is to “publish every test on time.” To meet that goal, we ask that all clients forecast their test publication requirements at least 30 days in advance of the “go live date” and that they submit their test files to us at least 10 days prior to the date the test is scheduled to go live.
Test Delivery Questions
- Over 4,500 Pearson VUE® Authorized Test Centers in 175 countries
- Over 400 company-owned and -operated test centers called Pearson Professional Centers
- Superior candidate scheduling and registration capabilities
- Multiple forms of candidate payment, with local currency pricing for many countries
- Candidate eligibility and tracking tools
- Test development, item banking, and test maintenance tools
- Secure candidate check-in
- Proactive security
- Outstanding levels of service
- Timely reports / online real-time report capabilities
- 24/7 technical, operational, and candidate support
- Global capabilities (sites, test languages, currency collection, call centers, etc.)
- Quantified service reporting (known as Key Performance Indicators)
Candidates can register for a test by calling a Pearson VUE call center, via the Web or directly at one of Pearson VUE’s test delivery locations.
Once scheduled, all candidates receive a confirmation letter, generally via email.
The Pearson VUE infrastructure can automatically enforce a variety of your defined rules and regulations, such as:
- How soon a test taker can re-schedule for a test, after having failed a previous attempt
- How often a test taker can retake the same test
- How soon a test taker can retake a test
Yes. Our system handles same-day testing very easily. All Pearson VUE® Authorized Test Centers are equipped to schedule a walk-in test taker and immediately deliver the test. Because it only takes two to five minutes to obtain testing authorization from the system, test takers requesting a commonly delivered test could be testing in five minutes or less based on seat availability.
The Pearson VUE testing system can easily be used for event, mobile or conference testing. This is a value-added service that can be provided by Pearson VUE, by one of Pearson VUE’s test center partners or by the client. The temporary center must be established and run much like a permanent testing site. After we establish the mobile testing site in our system along with its number of testing seats and hours of operation candidates can pre-schedule for test appointments by phone, via the web or on-site.
Pearson VUE has stringent security policies and procedures to:
- Protect the content of your examinations
- Ensure that the candidate taking the test is the person he or she is supposed to be
- Ensure that the candidate takes the test unaided
- Maintain the security of all data concerning the candidate and the testing session
Pearson VUE takes exam security issues very seriously and uses the best available physical and data security techniques to protect the intellectual property of our testing clients and to ensure that each candidate takes the exam in a controlled environment, including:
- Rigid enforcement of policies and procedures at the testing centers
- 24/7 worldwide phone and online support for technical and operational issues for the candidates and test sites
- Automated processing, escalating and handling of incidents
- Proactive testing center and testing session monitoring and analysis tools
- Continuous testing candidate experience surveying
- “Secret shopper” visits of testing sites
The Pearson VUE test driver delivers tests in Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (UK and American), French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Russian, Spanish (Castilian and Modern), Swedish and Welsh.
Pearson VUE’s registration system collects and reports test taker’s demographic information in the Roman alphabet, plus our system has the ability to collect name and address information in the candidate’s native language, including double byte languages. Pearson VUE’s test driver is capable of delivering tests in double byte languages.
Pearson VUE has a very sophisticated financial and banking system, allowing test takers to schedule and pay for tests in dozens of currencies around the world. Most clients want their test takers to be able to pay for their tests in the the local currency but wish to receive that money from Pearson VUE in US dollars, which the Pearson VUE system supports.
Pearson VUE has operations centers in the United Kingdom, India, China and Japan. Pearson VUE also has access to Pearson Assessments and Pearson plc personnel and facilities in many other countries. Pearson VUE’s operations centers mainly provide testing center support and test scheduling services.
In India and the United Kingdom, Pearson VUE has business development and program management personnel to support your international testing program requirements.
Program Implementation Questions
Contact Pearson VUE, ask to speak with a business development manager—be prepared to answer several questions about your program so that we can begin to plan your implementation.
To enhance the testing process, improve security, and reduce administrative work, many credentialing organizations are moving their paper-and-pencil testing programs to computer-based test delivery. Pearson VUE has worked with many testing programs to implement computer-based testing. Pearson VUE’s experienced testing staff will provide your organization with a systematic transition solution that includes:
- Analysis: Analysis of the current testing process, identifying any changes, and documenting new elements that may be included as a result of the CBT testing process.
- Plan: Pearson VUE staff will put together an appropriate transition plan and timeline that takes into account your program's special needs.
- Test publishing / version control
- Site selection
- Test taker scheduling
- Communication / training to the candidates: Pearson VUE’s experienced staff will work with you to ensure that your candidates are completely informed and knowledgable about your program’s transition to CBT. Communication to your stakeholders is critical to a successful program transition.
- KPI’s: Pearson VUE will work with you to customize a set of Key Performance Indicators that will report the quality of your program. Pearson VUE has made its reputation by focusing on quality. We routinely report to all our customers on several test delivery quality metrics. This reporting is a feature we are extremely proud of and one that we believe is important to you.
Yes, our marketing team will work you and your Pearson VUE Business Development Manager Executive to identify your organization’s business objectives and marketing needs. Then, we’ll make strategic recommendations that fit within your budget. Once a plan is agreed upon, we’ll tap into the appropriate resources needed to execute the plan—or assist your organization’s marketing staff with execution. We’ll also monitor your program and make adjustments or suggest additional strategies when warranted. With Pearson VUE managing the promotion of your testing program, you can be assured of experienced, creative, results-oriented marketing that allows your staff to focus on their core responsibilities.