AppleCare Certification Testing
Effective June 23, 2013, selected AppleCare exams will be available for purchase with Pearson VUE and delivered over the Internet. Subsequently, all Apple exams will be available for purchase with Pearson VUE effective October 1, 2013. For more details about this change, please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a category to view related questions and answers. If you prefer, you can download the complete set of FAQs (95 KB pdf).
- What is the change that Apple is making in its test delivery program?
Effective June 23, 2013, selected AppleCare exams will be available for purchase with Pearson VUE and delivered over the Internet. Subsequently, all Apple exams will be available for purchase with Pearson VUE effective October 1, 2013.
- Why is Apple changing its test delivery program?
The transition to Pearson VUE will facilitate the delivery of Apple’s certification exams in Apple environments, improved global technical support, and best-in-class protection of test taker’s data and exams.
- When will this change happen?
Here is a list of important dates that you need to be aware of as it relates to this transition.
Key Dates Actions June 22, 2013 Last day to take AppleCare 9L0-010, 9L0-064 and 9L0-E04 exams with Prometric June 23, 2013 First day to take AppleCare 9L0-010, 9L0-064 and 9L0-E04 exams with Pearson VUE for delivery over the Internet October 1, 2013 First day test takers are able to take all Apple exams with Pearson VUE for delivery over the Internet
- Who is Pearson VUE?
Pearson VUE (pearsonvue.com) provides computer-based testing for information technology, academic, government and professional testing programs around the world. Pearson VUE provides a full suite of services from test development to data management, and delivers exams through the world's most comprehensive and secure network of test centers in 165 countries. Pearson VUE is a business of Pearson (NYSE: PSO; LSE: PSON), the international media company, whose businesses include the Financial Times Group, Pearson Education and the Penguin Group.
- Will Pearson VUE offer all Apple Certification exams?
Yes. AppleCare 9L0-010, 9L0-064 and 9L0-E04 exams will be available for purchase effective June 23, 2013, and all Apple exams will be available for purchase starting on October 1, 2013.
- Are Pearson VUE’s testing/certification requirements the same as Apple’s prior vendor?
Yes. Because Apple sets the testing/certification requirements for its exams, the requirements at Pearson VUE will continue to be the same.
- Are the Apple exams on the Pearson VUE system different?
No, the exam content is the same.
- Will the test fees change?
No, test fees are set by Apple and will remain the same at Pearson VUE.
- Will the exam titles change?
No, all exam titles will remain the same.
- How can test takers receive a payment receipt for their exam purchase from Pearson VUE?
When test takers pay for an exam with a credit card, a payment confirmation email (in English) is automatically sent to the test taker. The test taker may print this email as their receipt. If they do not receive the automated email, they should check their spam filter or contact Pearson VUE at www.PearsonVUE.com/Apple/contact.
- How will test takers receive their score reports?
At the completion of an exam, test takers will be able to view and print their score reports themselves from their Pearson VUE web account. IMPORTANT: There will NOT be a score report email sent to candidates who purchase an AppleCare exam with Pearson VUE. Instead, candidates will be able to view and print their score reports themselves from their Pearson VUE web account.
- What are the payment options for test takers when purchasing an AppleCare with Pearson VUE?
The following payment types are available:
- Credit Card. AMEX, Master Card, VISA and JCB are accepted.
- Voucher Code. If you have been provided a voucher code, you may use it as exam payment as long as the voucher is redeemed and the exam taken before the voucher code expiration period.
- How long do test takers have to complete an AppleCare exam?
The duration or length of time allowed to complete an exam varies by exam. The durations are set by Apple and will remain the same at Pearson VUE.
- What is the new process for purchasing an AppleCare exam once these exams have been transitioned to Pearson VUE?
The new process is as follows:
- Visit www.pearsonvue.com/apple/ to set up your Pearson VUE web account. You will be required to enter your Apple Tech ID. If you have forgotten your Apple Tech ID, or need to request one, please contact Apple at http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/contact/.
- Select and purchase your Apple Certification exam using a credit card or voucher code.
- If you’ve purchased a web-based exam, you will now be able to begin your exam. Please Note: AppleCare exams do NOT require proctoring and are available to anyone with an Internet connection.
- What if I already have an Apple exam scheduled with Prometric?
If you have an AppleCare 9L0-010, 9L0-064 or 9L0-E04 exam scheduled to take place on or before June 22, 2013, then no action is required. If you have one of these AppleCare exams scheduled with Prometric on or after the cut-over date of June 23, 2013, please reschedule your exam with Prometric before this date. The Prometric voucher number used to schedule your exam will not be valid in the Pearson VUE system.
- I bought a Prometric voucher but have not scheduled my exam yet, what do I do?
You can schedule your AppleCare exam with Prometric at your earliest convenience as long as the exam is taken on or before June 22, 2013.
- How do I purchase an Apple exam with Pearson VUE?
Exams can be purchased online at www.pearsonvue.com/apple/.
- What will happen to my records and testing history with Prometric?
All records and testing history are the property of Apple, and this information will remain with Apple. Likewise, all new records created through Pearson VUE will be forwarded to Apple for processing and storage. All Apple historical testing data is available to test takers through the Global Certification Exchange (GCX) for ACMT and other AppleCare Certifications.
- I already have taken and passed one of the two exams required to earn an Apple Certification at a Prometric Test Center. Can I take the second exam at Pearson VUE, and if I pass, earn my Apple Certification?
Yes. You simply purchase your next exam with Pearson VUE. Because all previous and future results are the property of Apple, this transition will not affect existing certifications or certification paths. To ensure that your records are correct, you are required to enter your Apple TechID when creating a web account with Pearson VUE and taking an AppleCare exam.
- I have taken all my previous Apple exams with Prometric. Will all my new Pearson VUE exams be added to the same record or will I now have different records?
You will have only one record in the Apple database. To ensure that your records are correct, you are required to enter your Apple TechID when creating a web account with Pearson VUE and taking an AppleCare exam.
- I discovered that I have duplicate records in the Global Certification Exchange (GCX). How can I get these merged?
Please contact Apple at email@example.com.
- I took my exam through Prometric and it is not located in my record. Now what?
Apple will need your score report to locate your exam record with Prometric. Please contact Apple at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If I did not pass my exam at Prometric before the cutover date, will I still need to wait 24 hours before retaking the exam at Pearson VUE?
Yes. If you failed an AppleCare exam at Prometric, you will need to wait a minimum of 24 hours before retaking the exam at Pearson VUE.