Due to Winter Storm Helena impacting south, southeast and southern New England states in the U.S., we are experiencing high volumes of site closures. We are working diligently to contact all affected candidates by email and phone. If you have questions about your appointment, please contact customer service. We appreciate your patience.
National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE)
The National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE) is offered under the auspices of the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations, an independent agency of the American Dental Association. The NBDHE assists state boards in evaluating qualifications of dental hygienists for licensure. NBDHE certification is accepted in all states as fulfilling all or part of the written examination requirements for licensure. The NBDHE assesses the ability to understand important information from basic biomedical and dental hygiene sciences and also the ability to apply such information in a problem-solving context.
|NBDHE Tutorial *||.MSI (EXE)||55.1 mb|
|Tutorial Installation Requirements and Instructions||364 kb|
* Windows-based PC required; Tutorial is not available for Mac platforms
Scheduling a Testing Appointment
Prior to scheduling a testing appointment, you must:
- Review the NBDHE Candidate Guide, specifically the Eligibility Requirements, Rules of Conduct, Examination Regulations, and the Testing Center Procedures.
- Submit an examination application to the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE). Your application must be approved by your dental hygiene program director or you must submit proof of graduation from an approved education program.
- Receive an eligibility email from the JCNDE.
- Create a Pearson VUE web account (first-time test takers only).
There is a $25 transaction charge for every testing appointment rescheduled, whether via the call center or the website.
Important Identification Information
The name on your ID must match exactly with the name on your NBDHE application file. If you have conflicting IDs, you will be refused admission to the Pearson VUE Test Center and, as a result, will miss your scheduled appointment and forfeit your application fee. Name changes must be submitted in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to testing and include your DENTPIN, government issued photo ID and legal name change document(s) when applicable. If you have any questions concerning types of acceptable identification, please call the DTS office at 800.232.1694.