Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO®)
The Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) was established as a not-for-profit organization in 1969 to offer certification and continuing education opportunities to ophthalmic allied health personnel.
JCAHPO’s mission is to enhance the quality and availability of ophthalmic patient care by promoting the value of qualified allied health personnel and by providing certification and education.
Certifications offered by JCAHPO:
- Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA®)
- Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT®)
- Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT®)
- Corporate Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (CCOA®)
- Registered Ophthalmic Ultrasound Biometrist (ROUB®)
- Certified Diagnostic Ophthalmic Sonographer (CDOS®)
Sub-Specialty Certification offered by JCAHPO:
- Ophthalmic Surgical Assistant (OSA®)
Before scheduling an examination appointment:
- You must have completed and submitted to JCAHPO the certification examination application and included all requested information, documentation and appropriate fees.
- Received examination authorization from JCAHPO notifying you that you are eligible to for the examination and providing you with your Candidate ID information.
You may schedule your own appointment using the online scheduling tool on this page. Please note that the account creation may take up to 24 hours. You will be notified by e-mail ONLY when your account is activated. This email will identify your user name and password to enter the scheduling system.
After you schedule your examination, Pearson VUE will send you a confirmation e-mail that includes: examination date; examination time; test center address, directions and phone number.
You will be required to agree to the NDA Agreement (331 KB pdf) that will be presented at the beginning of your examination. Failure to read/accept the agreement within the allotted 5 minutes will result in your examination ending and a forfeit of your examination fees. Please take a moment to review the agreement now so that you are familiar with the information when you sit for your examination.